Friday, January 31, 2014

REVIEW: JAGGED BY KRISTEN ASHLEY

An old flame rekindled . . .

Zara Cinders always knew Ham Reece was the one, but he wasn't interested in settling down. When she found someone who was, Ham walked out of her life. Three years later, Zara's lost her business, her marriage, and she's barely getting by in a tiny apartment on the wrong side of the tracks. As soon as Ham hears about Zara's plight, he's on her doorstep offering her a lifeline. Now, it will take every ounce of will power she possesses to resist all that he offers.

Ham was always a traveling man, never one to settle down in one town, with one woman, for more time than absolutely necessary. But Ham's faced his own demons, and he's learned a lot. About himself, and about the life he knows he's meant to live. So when he hears that Zara's having a rough time, he wants to be the one to help. In fact, he wants to do more than that for Zara. A lot more. But first, he must prove to Zara that he's a changed man.


Kindle Edition345 pages
Published November 5th 2013 by Forever (first published November 3rd 2013)
EGalley provided by Netgalley for an honest review


Purchase: 


Kristen Ashley grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana, and has lived in Denver, Colorado, and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends and family around the globe. Her posse is loopy (to say the least) but loopy is good when you want to write.

Kristen was raised in a house with a large and multigenerational family. They lived on a very small farm in a small town in the heartland, and Kristen grew up listening to the strains of Glenn Miller, The Everly Brothers, REO Speedwagon, and Whitesnake.

Needless to say, growing up in a house full of music and love was a good way to grow up.

And as she keeps growing up, it keeps getting better.

Author Social Media links:


OUR REVIEW:

So just when I think I have some things figured out about Kristen Ashley she tweaks things and surprises me. Jagged was a nice surprise in the Colorado Mountain series. It still had the components we all love: Colorado, a very strong and hot male, and a strong woman, and a dual POV ..but the THING they have to overcome is less angst producing. I guess I felt like Zara and Ham find common ground early and stay fairly even-keeled throughout.


Sort of. I agree with you with their dynamic being different, but for the first time in a long time or at least that I can remember their start wasn't easy at all. They let each other go, because that wasn't who Ham was. And Zara moved on. That was a surprise. Their long time friendship/relationship is a new one for this series, and I was frustrating greatly by Ham and even Zara at times. But their huge implosion at one point is very genuine, and also another direction. Ah, it is just so good, I don't even know what to say! 

It helps that in the few times we hear from Ham, we get a ton of information that helps us know his intentions and a lot of the Zara backstory. He never really pissed me off because I knew so much and I knew that he wasn't screwing around. He's just such a steady and protective force for Zara which is not only what she needed, it's what she wanted. That is true. Thank God for his point of view, because without it I would not have liked him as well, as early I don't think. And I have to say that I am sure some people will be meh about the Ham nickname, but when I was almost done I came to the realization his first name is Graham...so I was much more ok with it. (Hey, nicknames are important in KA-land)


Zara is one of the more reasonable Kristen Ashley heroines. Yes, she definitely has a backbone and some fight to her but she also tends to balance her desire to pick a fight with her desire to be reasonable. She's also good at admitting when she's wrong and apologizing...actually they both are. Zara has several battles to fight but with Ham and her friends and the community at her back she handles these with grace.


I loved Zara, a lot. And I really loved Ham. We get appearances from Max and Nina (a la The Gamble) so I enjoyed very much getting to see some characters we haven't seen in a while. Jagged is a really cool title, as they always are...and totally fit this book. And even though these books are always a whack (as in a lot of pages, I just love using "a whack" in a sentence) I finished it in mere hours because I was seriously hooked! 

While this return to Gnaw Bone, Colorado (that name slays me every time!) was more mellow and less pissing me off, I loved every second of my re-emergence into Kristen Ashley land (aka KA Land) and look forward to coming back soon. Always. Always. Always! 


Shelley: 5 Stars

Courtney: 5 Stars


Find it here: Goodreads | Amazon

Post a Comment

Comments are bloggy food.

Feed our blog...

© Must Read Books or Die. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.